Researcher | Tell MAMA | Full Time | London
Tell MAMA is the UK’s leading NGO and observatory that supports victims of anti-Muslim hate crime and produces research on anti-Muslim hate and Islamophobia. As a Researcher, the successful candidate will draft research reports, audit and manage data collected from victims of hate crimes, and use qualitative and quantitative skills to inform stakeholders in politics, police forces, social media platforms, and civil society about anti-Muslim hate and Islamophobia.
The candidate must be digitally literate, with expertise in Microsoft Excel, familiarity with SQL database management, and demonstrate willingness to learn or capacity to use advanced software packages for data visualisation and geospatial analysis. The researcher must also be grounded in qualitative social science research methodologies with a focus on interviews, surveys, and discourse analysis. This role would be ideal for a current doctoral student or a recent graduate from a Masters programme looking to obtain high-impact research experience.
- Ability to draft compelling reports balancing theories of race and ethnicity, qualitative analysis of hate crime cases, and quantitative analysis of hate crimes and incidents.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent knowledge of social science research methods, evidenced by successful previous research projects.
- Experience using advanced database management software.
- Experience managing research projects either independently or as part of a team
- Masters degree with demonstrable knowledge in qualitative research methods.
- Experience with Adobe Creative Cloud software, specifically Illustrator, InDesign, and Photoshop for data-driven graphic design.
- Experience presenting research at conferences or other venues.
- Expertise in Microsoft Excel, with good knowledge of automation solutions, formulas, and analysis tools.
- Experience assisting with branding, marketing campaigns, and content production.
- Ability to work to tight deadlines and managing risks.
- At least a basic proficiency in database querying using language such as SQL, or basic proficiency in R, Python, or Ruby for data analysis.
- Experience studying and visualising online social media networks using APIs.
- Proficiency in geospatial analysis using GIS software.
- A demonstrable commitment to human rights and religious freedom, and a willingness to work with police, politicians, government, and civil society to support victims of hate crime.
Applications should be made with a CV and a detailed covering letter highlighting how you meet the requirements above. Applications will not be accepted without a covering letter and they should be marked for the attention of Iman Atta, Director of Tell MAMA, email@example.com
Closing Date: September 14th, 2020